03 Jun Favorite Wine Quotes: Our Top 20
For many people, wine plays a festive role in their activities, and even provides inspiration for their lives. There is just something about the beauty of vineyards and the unscrewing of corks that appeals to the senses. Drinking wine is an experience. After all, how many of us saw the movie Sideways and immediately wanted to be a wine expert?
With the holiday season creeping up on us faster than the grinch, we’ve compiled a list of our favorite wine quotes — guaranteed to make your heart grow three sizes. Or, you know, just be perfect for an art print to hang over your bar cart.
- “Wine makes every meal an occasion, every table more elegant, every day more civilized.” — Andre Simon, known as the father of wine and food pairings. (We’re thinking he would’ve loved our bottles, too!)
- Renowned writer Ernest Hemingway noted, “My only regret in life is that I did not drink more wine.” Fair enough.
- “Life is too short to drink bad wine.” In the land of the Internet, we can’t be certain where this popular quote came from, but we can’t help but agree.
- A beautiful quote for a wine craft or painting comes from the writer Robert Louis Stevenson, who famously proclaimed, “Wine is bottled poetry.” In fact, you can even find this quote posted at the entrance to California’s Napa Valley.
- Actor W.C Fields joked, “I cook with wine; sometimes I even add it to the food.”
- “A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world,” Louis Pasteur once said.
- Galileo Galilei saw wine in quite the cosmic way when he announced the beautiful, “”Wine is sunlight, held together by water.”
- Joan Collins brought the humor when she said, “Age is just a number. It’s totally irrelevant unless, of course, you happen to be a bottle of wine.”
- British wine writer Michael Broadbent wrote, “Drinking good wine with good food in good company is one of life’s most civilized pleasures.”
- “Where there is no wine, there is no love,” exclaimed Greek playwright Euripides. Apparently, even in 460 BC, the wine was pretty fantastic.
- “Wine is the only artwork you can drink,” is a quote by Luis Fernando Olaverri that would especially make for a fitting piece of artwork.
- Chef Julia Child was evidently quite moved by wine. She is quoted as having said the powerful, “Wine is a living liquid containing no preservatives. Its life cycle comprises youth, maturity, old age, and death.”
- Ralph Waldo Emerson declared, “A man will be eloquent if you give him good wine.” Doesn’t wine make everything just a little bit fancier?
- According to singer Kathy Mattea,“A gourmet meal without a glass of wine just seems tragic to me somehow.”
- “Wine is the intellectual part of a meal. Meats are merely the material part,” said French novelist Alexander Dumas.
- “I feast on wine and bread, and feasts they are,” is a quote from none other than Michelangelo.
- “A meal without wine is like a day without sunshine,” said Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin, a French politician.
- “The discovery of a wine is of greater moment than the discovery of a constellation. The universe is too full of stars,” is a quote attributed to Benjamin Franklin.
- Napoleon Bonaparte even had something to say about wine, explaining, “Nothing makes the future look so rosy as to contemplate it through a glass of Chambertin.”
- The Alchemist author Paulo Coelho’s life philosophy extended to wine when he said, “Accept what life offers you and try to drink from every cup. All wines should be tasted; some should only be sipped, but with others, drink the whole bottle.”
Hopefully, one of these quotes provided some inspiration for your own wine crafts — or at least a good laugh!
But, okay, if wine really isn’t your thing, you’re still going to love our wine bottle decorations for your friends and family this holiday season. Definitely give our White Lights Christmas Tree a look for the wine lover in your life. With its stunning wine charms and warm lights, it could even be a favorite at the company holiday party.